Engineering Manager, Streaming Platform
Brief info about Vinted
Vinted Marketplace is the largest online international C2C marketplace in Europe dedicated to second-hand fashion, with millions of registered members spanning 20 markets in Europe and North America. With a mission to make second-hand the first choice worldwide, Vinted enables people to sell and buy second-hand clothes and lifestyle items from each other, helping give those items a second or even third life.
Vinted Go launched in 2022, with a focus on developing products and solutions for more seamless shipping and delivery across Europe. Vinted Go has connected more than 40 carriers and more than 200,000 PUDO points across Europe to support the delivery of millions of parcels per year.
The Vinted Group, composed of Vinted Marketplace and Vinted Go, is headquartered in Vilnius, with workplaces in Czech Republic, Germany, Lithuania, France, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands and over 2,000 employees. It is backed by six leading venture capital firms: Accel, Burda Principal Investments, EQT Growth, Insight Partners, Lightspeed Venture Partners, and Sprints Capital.
Information about the position
We seek an Engineering Manager to spearhead our efforts in developing a cutting-edge Streaming Platform. Your team is part of our Data Infrastructure domain, next to Machine Learning, Experimentation and Data Platform teams. The Streaming Platform leverages Apache Flink to enable anyone at Vinted to deploy real-time streaming applications. The Platform is already being used by a few teams in Vinted, most notably for indexing search data in real-time. In addition, the team is responsible for providing raw data that other applications can consume and transform. Currently, the platform is used for ingesting operational data from MySQL databases (CDC) and events from Web/Android/iOS and loading it into the data warehouse, both on-prem and Dataverse (BigQuery).
You will join a fully staffed, knowledgeable team with high ambition. Your end goal is clear: "Provide an easy-to-use platform where all teams in Vinted can autonomously implement and deploy streaming applications that stream, connect, process, and govern all necessary data and make it available wherever it’s needed in real-time.". As an Engineering Manager, you will have to grow, inspire and lead your team to this goal in the most efficient and reliable manner possible. Also, you will keep your team's vision and strategies up to date and effectively scale the vision, team and operations as needed. Each day, you'll face unique challenges, managing a platform that handles 1.5 million events per second.
Join us in an organisation that is hyper-focused on supporting and developing best-in-class engineering talent, creating an inclusive culture based on aiming high, taking ownership, co-creating, caring, and growth. Take a look at https://vinted.engineering/ to get a sense of our challenges, and read some reflections on Vinted’s culture at https://careers.vinted.com/.
In this position, you’ll
Be accountable for:
- Platform vision and strategies to achieve it.
- Results of the team (delivery management and quality of the services).
- Efficient way of working in the team (working in the right ways on the right things).
- People in the team (ensuring that we have great people working in true harmony).
In practice, it means:
- Work closely with engineering teams to understand their needs for the Streaming platform. Develop strategies and roadmaps aligned with the overall platform vision.
- In collaboration with the domain's Staff Engineer and Data Infrastructure leaders, craft and communicate a clear vision for a world-class Streaming platform, outlining strategies for its realization.
- Define ambitious Quarterly OKRs (Objectives and Key Results) focusing on strategic goals and ensuring their successful delivery.
- Actively work on improving the platform to support real-time data use cases, enhancing its reliability and performance.
- Develop Service Level Objectives and a support model matching the platform's increasing criticality, ensuring reliability and quick resolution of issues.
- Effectively communicate progress and manage stakeholder expectations with transparent updates.
- Recognize impediments to team efficiency and propose and implement solutions to enhance collaboration, efficiency, and delivery speed.
- Build and maintain a team culture based on trust, open conflict resolution, commitment, accountability, high performance, and results orientation.
- Focus on team members' professional and personal development, including conducting performance and compensation reviews.
- Expand the team strategically by hiring for new roles as needed, ensuring the team's capabilities grow in alignment with platform demands.
- You are self-driven, like to get things done, and done well.
- Possess at least 2 years of experience in leading a software engineering team within an Agile setup, proud of the outcomes achieved.
- Know how to effectively manage stakeholders, scope, priorities, and deliverables
- You are a collaborative visionary capable of setting a clear direction and delivering motivating, incremental steps
- Understand how to enhance team efficiency and build high-performing, self-organised teams
- Like working with people and helping them to overcome challenges
- Have experience in setting growth goals and facilitating personal development in your team
- Possess the courage to address uncomfortable situations, manage conflicts, and make difficult decisions.
- Solid proficiency in communicating with both technical and management levels in English
- While in-depth knowledge of specific technologies (CDC, Kafka, Cloud and On-Prem Data Platforms, Apache Flink, Docker, Kubernetes, DevOps & Automation) is not required, a basic understanding of it will help you perform better by a mile.
- The opportunity to benefit from our share options programme
- 25 working days of holiday
- Newest MacBook models
- Mental and emotional health support through the Mindletic app
- Home office support: we provide IT workstation equipment and a personal budget of up to €540 for home workplace furniture
- A daily lunch allowance
- Private health insurance
- Frequent team-building events
- A personal monthly budget for shopping on Vinted
- The opportunity to spend up to 90 days per year - 21 of which can be spent working outside of the EU - on workation
- A dog-friendly office
Working at Vinted
Individual Learning Budget
Vinted will set aside a yearly sum equal to 13.2% of your annual salary to be invested in your continuous professional development. You’ll be able to take the initiative to use it for covering relevant learning activities that benefit your role.
We’ve adopted a hybrid workplace model where 2 days in office are recommended but not enforced. It’s up to you and your team to decide on the exact days you’ll spend working together in person.
The Vinted Group is committed to building an inclusive workplace where people from all walks of life feel a sense of belonging. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, identities and life experiences. At Vinted, all applicants are treated fairly without regard to their race, age, religion or belief, sex, national origin, citizenship, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or any other protected characteristic.
The salary range for this position is € 6,200 - € 8,383 gross per month.