Senior Backend Engineer, Transactional Experience
Brief info about Vinted
Vinted Marketplace is the largest online international C2C marketplace in Europe dedicated to second-hand fashion, with millions of registered members spanning 20 markets in Europe and North America. With a mission to make second-hand the first choice worldwide, Vinted enables people to sell and buy second-hand clothes and lifestyle items from each other, helping give those items a second or even third life.
Vinted Go launched in 2022, with a focus on developing products and solutions for more seamless shipping and delivery across Europe. Vinted Go has connected more than 40 carriers and more than 200,000 PUDO points across Europe to support the delivery of millions of parcels per year.
The Vinted Group, composed of Vinted Marketplace and Vinted Go, is headquartered in Vilnius, with workplaces in Czech Republic, Germany, Lithuania, France, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands and over 2,000 employees. It is backed by six leading venture capital firms: Accel, Burda Principal Investments, EQT Growth, Insight Partners, Lightspeed Venture Partners, and Sprints Capital.
Information about the position
Vinted backend engineers work in Product Engineering teams. These teams have all the main competencies that are needed to ship new features to our members without outside help (cross-functional). Usually, such teams have mobile platform engineers (iOS, Android), web engineers, and two or three backend engineers. Backend engineers implement business logic and write APIs that our mobile and web platforms can use. They are also responsible for growing our backend platform to handle a wider scale.
Our Transactional Experience domain focuses on ensuring a seamless transactional experience for Vinted members once they place an order and we are looking for a backend engineer who’s skilled at writing elegant code and likes to work on big-scale projects.
Take a look at engineering.vinted.com to see what we’re up to.
Your main aim will be preparing our product for the challenges that lie ahead and making sure it contributes to the Vinted vision of making second-hand the first choice.
In this position, you’ll
- Work in a team and shape the features to make our members’ lives better
- Apply Agile and Lean principles in your work
- Collaborate with other developers through GitHub pull requests and code reviews
- Write unit tests (RSpec) for all of the code you write. We have >10000 tests that run in ~5 minutes through our Jenkins setup
- See your code affect 80 million users almost instantly. Our master branch gets rolled out straight to production on each merge
- Work with one of the biggest Ruby on Rails codebase in the world, MySQL, Memcached, Elasticsearch and many more technologies. We don't expect you to be familiar with any of them beforehand
- Break down large monoliths into smaller, manageable components and services
- Craft the code which can handle more than 2M requests per minute and 12-15 transactions per second
- Monitor your deployed code through Kibana, Grafana, DataDog
- Own SLIs/SLOs in the product team
- Effectively partner across teams to prioritize and deliver results
- Provides direct and impactful feedback in team and larger functions and seeks out feedback from other team members to grow
- You should be willing to learn and master new technologies and concepts
- You love to improve things and if you see something that needs improvement, you actively bring it to the table
- You are familiar with the following disciplines: Software Engineering, Distributed Systems, Systems Architecture, Service Oriented Architecture
- You understand enterprise architecture patterns, (micro)services and their pros/cons
- You can engage in constructive and healthy conflict, expressing your views openly, while maintaining respect and professionalism towards colleagues
- The opportunity to benefit from our share options programme
- 25 working days of holiday
- Newest MacBook models
- Mental and emotional health support through the Mindletic app
- Home office support: we provide IT workstation equipment and a personal budget of up to €540 for home workplace furniture
- A daily lunch allowance
- Private health insurance
- Frequent team-building events
- A personal monthly budget for shopping on Vinted
- The opportunity to spend up to 90 days per year - 21 of which can be spent working outside of the EU - on workation
- A dog-friendly office
Working at Vinted
Individual Learning Budget
Vinted will set aside a yearly sum equal to 13.2% of your annual salary to be invested in your continuous professional development. You’ll be able to take the initiative to use it for covering relevant learning activities that benefit your role.
We’ve adopted a hybrid workplace model where 2 days in office are recommended but not enforced. It’s up to you and your team to decide on the exact days you’ll spend working together in person.
The Vinted Group is committed to building an inclusive workplace where people from all walks of life feel a sense of belonging. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, identities and life experiences. At Vinted, all applicants are treated fairly without regard to their race, age, religion or belief, sex, national origin, citizenship, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or any other protected characteristic.
The salary range for this position is € 4,833 - € 8,587 gross per month.