Lead Backend Engineer, Transactional Experience
Brief info about Vinted
Vinted Marketplace is the largest online international C2C marketplace in Europe dedicated to second-hand fashion, with a growing member base of over 80 million registered members spanning 19 markets in Europe and North America. With a mission to make second-hand the first choice worldwide, Vinted enables people to sell and buy second-hand clothes and lifestyle items from each other, helping give those items a second or even third life.
Vinted Go launched in 2022, with a focus on developing products and solutions for more seamless shipping and delivery across Europe. Vinted Go has connected more than 40 carriers and more than 200,000 PUDO points across Europe to support the delivery of millions of parcels per year.
The Vinted Group, composed of Vinted Marketplace and Vinted Go, is headquartered in Vilnius, with workplaces in Czech Republic, Germany, Lithuania, France, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands and over 1,800 employees. It is backed by six leading venture capital firms: Accel, Burda Principal Investments, EQT Growth, Insight Partners, Lightspeed Venture Partners, and Sprints Capital.
Information about the position
Vinted backend software engineers work in Product Engineering teams. These teams have all the main competencies needed to ship new features to our members without outside help. Usually, such teams have mobile platform engineers (iOS, Android), web engineers, and three to four backend software engineers. Backend software engineers are the ones who implement business logic and write APIs that our mobile and web platforms can use. They are also responsible for growing our backend platform to handle a wider scale.
Vinted is looking for a backend software engineer who is skilled at writing elegant code and likes to work on big-scale projects. Take a look at engineering.vinted.com to see what we’re up to.
Our Transactional Experience domain is dedicated to ensuring a seamless transactional experience for Vinted members. We seek a lead backend software engineer with distributed systems design and architecture expertise to join our team.
Your main aim will be preparing our product for the challenges ahead and ensuring it contributes to the Vinted vision of making second-hand the first choice.
In this position, you’ll
- Shape features that positively impact our 80+ million users. Code changes are rolled out instantly to production
- Craft the code which can handle more than 2M requests per minute
- Lead domain and cross-domain level initiatives spanning multiple teams within the organisation
- Collaborate through GitHub pull requests, code reviews, and provide valuable team feedback
- Partner across teams to prioritise and deliver results
- Work alongside the domain’s Staff Engineer on our architectural evolution
- Transform large monoliths into smaller, component-based services
- Ensure robustness through unit testing (RSpec). (We have >40K tests that run in ~8 minutes through our Jenkins setup)
- Work with one of the world's biggest Ruby on Rails codebase, leveraging technologies like Vitess, Memcached, Kafka, Redis and many more technologies. (We don't expect you to be familiar with all of them beforehand)
- Employ Agile and Lean principles in daily tasks
- Willingness to learn and master new technologies and concepts to stay at the forefront of backend development
- You have experience working as an architect, tech-lead, who previously led cross-team technical initiatives
- In-depth knowledge of service-based architecture, database design, and distributed systems
- Experience with event-driven and asynchronous programming patterns
- Familiarity with Domain-Driven Design (DDD) principles and practices would be a bonus
- You understand problems with distributed systems (distributed monolith, CAP theorem, byzantine faults, ACID vs BASE database)
- You love to improve things and show initiative if you see something that needs improvement
- The opportunity to benefit from our share options programme
- 25 working days of holiday
- M1 MacBooks
- Mental and emotional health support through the Mindletic app
- Home office support: we provide IT workstation equipment and a personal budget of up to €540 for home workplace furniture
- A daily lunch allowance
- Private health insurance
- Frequent team-building events
- A personal monthly budget for shopping on Vinted
- The opportunity to spend up to 90 days per year - 21 of which can be spent working outside of the EU - on workation
- A dog-friendly office
Working at Vinted
Individual Learning Budget
Vinted will set aside a yearly sum equal to 10-13.2% of your annual salary to be invested in your continuous professional development. You’ll be able to take the initiative to use it for covering relevant learning activities that benefit your role.
We’ve adopted a hybrid workplace model where 2 days in office are recommended but not enforced. It’s up to you and your team to decide on the exact days you’ll spend working together in person.
The Vinted Group is committed to building an inclusive workplace where people from all walks of life feel a sense of belonging. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, identities and life experiences. At Vinted, all applicants are treated fairly without regard to their race, age, religion or belief, sex, national origin, citizenship, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or any other protected characteristic.
The salary range for this position is € 6,350 – € 8,587 gross per month.