Senior Backend Engineer, Payments
Brief info about Vinted
Vinted Marketplace is the largest online international C2C marketplace in Europe dedicated to second-hand fashion, with a growing member base of over 80 million registered members spanning 19 markets in Europe and North America. With a mission to make second-hand the first choice worldwide, Vinted enables people to sell and buy second-hand clothes and lifestyle items from each other, helping give those items a second or even third life.
Vinted Go launched in 2022, with a focus on developing products and solutions for more seamless shipping and delivery across Europe. Vinted Go has connected more than 40 carriers and more than 200,000 PUDO points across Europe to support the delivery of millions of parcels per year.
The Vinted Group, composed of Vinted Marketplace and Vinted Go, is headquartered in Vilnius, with workplaces in Czech Republic, Germany, Lithuania, France, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands and over 1,800 employees. It is backed by six leading venture capital firms: Accel, Burda Principal Investments, EQT Growth, Insight Partners, Lightspeed Venture Partners, and Sprints Capital.
Information about the position
In Payments, we work in a small teams (6-9 people) that own objectives from idea to implementation, and groups of those teams form domains (3-5 teams). Usually our teams have an Engineering Manager, Product Manager, QA, Decision Scientist and 4-6 backend engineers. And those teams work in isolation as much as possible. However, due to our rapid growth we have grown into a place where we have cross-team challenges at backend - maybe it’s you who could help us?
Payments are at the very heart of Vinted, that is why we have a goal to be a reliable, fast, safe payments platform allowing any transaction at Vinted to succeed. On top of product-related challenges, we will not shy away from acknowledging that our rapid product growth has left us with some challenging technical riddles. We already have multiple services running and we are planning to expand here, supporting a couple of different setups at the same time allowing teams to work autonomously and fast to deliver product features - this is where you could help the most.
Take a look at engineering.vinted.com to see what we’re up to.
In this position, you’ll
- Work in a team and shape the features to make our members’ experience with payments better
- Lead/define technical initiatives that spans across multiple teams within Payments domain
- Shape our product features for them to meet both: our code quality standard and high demands from our members
- Work closely with the domain’s Staff Engineer to enable the architectural evolution of our codebase
- Improve our tech stack by being the voice of reason, when we are in extremes: be it creating too much technical debt, be it gold-plating
- Be inspiring example to younger engineers in our domain and outside it
More about your daily work
- We try to be agile as much as we can. Sometimes we succeed, sometimes we learn
- Lean software development is something we strive for
- Strong code review culture
- We write unit tests (RSpec) for all of the code that makes sense. And we have >10000 tests which run in ~5 minutes through our Jenkins setup
- See your code affect 80+ million users almost instantly. Our main branch gets rolled out straight to production on each merge. We deploy many times per day.
- Work with Ruby on Rails, MySQL, Memcached, Elasticsearch and many more technologies. We don't expect you to be familiar with any of them beforehand, but we expect that you will be excited to learn them
- We monitor our code through Kibana, Grafana, Datadog
- Able to think pragmatically and choose the best option
- You don’t like to over-engineer things and love keeping it simple
- Love to fix things, and more importantly - understand how they work
- Love to help others grow by showing example
- You are willing to take on new challenges and constantly grow as a person
- You are driven and passionate about technology.
- The opportunity to benefit from our share options programme
- 25 working days of holiday
- Newest MacBook models
- Free access to an office gym
- Mental and emotional health support through the Mindletic app
- Home office support: we provide IT workstation equipment and a personal budget of up to €540 for home workplace furniture
- Private health insurance
- On-site canteen serving delicious homemade food at discount prices
- Frequent team-building events
- A personal monthly budget for shopping on Vinted
- The opportunity to spend up to 90 days per year - 21 of which can be spent working outside of the EU - on workation
- A dog-friendly office
Working at Vinted
Individual Learning Budget
Vinted will set aside a yearly sum equal to 13.2% of your annual salary to be invested in your continuous professional development. You’ll be able to take the initiative to use it for covering relevant learning activities that benefit your role.
We’ve adopted a hybrid workplace model where 2 days in office are recommended but not enforced. It’s up to you and your team to decide on the exact days you’ll spend working together in person.
The Vinted Group is committed to building an inclusive workplace where people from all walks of life feel a sense of belonging. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, identities and life experiences. At Vinted, all applicants are treated fairly without regard to their race, age, religion or belief, sex, national origin, citizenship, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or any other protected characteristic.
The salary range for this position is € 4,833 - € 6,535 gross per month.